If you change the shape of your roof structure, to create any sort of Dormers, you WILL NOT require planning permission if, in the main, you follow these simple rules......
• must not exceed these volume allowances of 50m3 (cubic meters) for detached and semi detached houses & 40m3 (cubic meters) for terraced houses
• No part of the extension is to be higher than the highest part of the existing roof.
• Any side-facing windows must be obscure-glazed and non-opening unless the parts which can be opened are more than 1.7 metres above the floor of the room in which it is installed
• Loft conversion dormer’s apart from hip to gable ones are to be set back, as far as is practicable, at least 20cms from the eaves. The 20cm distance is measured along the roof plane. The roof enlargement cannot overhang the outer face of the wall of the original house.
• Verandas, balconies or raised platforms are NOT a Permitted Development. Juliet Balconies are common and ARE P.D.
• Materials should be similar in appearance to the existing house especially the Dormer Face & Cheeks
• No P.D. in designated area’s, i.e. Conservation Area or a area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
During the quotation stage, we can advise & answer any questions in relation to planning, permitted development & building regs.
Our service takes care of the lot! Call Lucy on 0800 321 3702 for free advice & a quotation.